Sunday, May 9, 2010

Life Lessons

Some gifts keep giving. Of all the learning and teaching resources available to educators, instructional technologists, students and parents, nothing equals the power of the Discovery Educator Network. Discovery delivers cutting edge technology before the edge is cut, providing some of the finest professional development, products, resources, and 21st century learning available globally. Celebrating DEN Teacher Appreciation Week, May 3-7, 2010, Discovery gave their STARS a week-long thank you of unbeatable educational gifts. Among them was extended access to the Discovery Education suite, connecting to a world of learning with 9,000 full-length videos, and Discovery Health.

In the past, I have used Discoverystreaming Plus to plan lessons for my students. There is nothing safer on the planet for classroom use, but now I am truly creating life lessons, this time for myself as well. Using my Teacher Appreciation package from the DEN, I began constructing a diet plan for beating back cancer. Since I like learning like a digital native, I prefer videos to text because multimedia engages the math-science underdeveloped half of my brain. Now the Teacher Center and my Builder Tools enable me to create special life lessons that connect me with my students, too many of whom have family members coping with serious illness.

When I decided to use my cancer diagnosis as a teaching tool, I suspected that cancer touched every family. Now that I know how true my suspicions were, educational tools from Discovery Education will give new meaning to authentic learning in a 21st century context. Life lessons. Some gift do keep giving.






Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment